Can Dogs Eat Pine Cones?

I see many pet owners ask can dogs eat Pine Cones or not. The answer I find is ‘NO‘. Dogs can’t have pine cones for many reasons, and I am sharing those reasons here.

Unfortunately, there is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on the dog’s size, breed, and health. 

Generally, though, most dogs will not be able to eat a pine cone safely. However, perhaps your dog manages to eat a pine cone

There is a good chance that it will become sick from the seeds and nuts inside. Dogs who are already ill may also become seriously sick if they consume pine cones.

In this article, I will explore whether or not dogs can chew on pinecones. If so, what health risks may be associated with this behavior.

What Are Pine Cones?

Pine cones are cone-like reproductive structures of the pine tree. The seeds inside a pine cone are released when a bee or other insect opens the cone. 

Why Do Dogs Eat Pine Cones?

Dogs are eating pine cones for a variety of reasons. Some believe that cones are a source of nutrients. 

But others believe that the chew cones communicate with other canines. Regardless of why dogs consume pine cones, it is an interesting habit that many dog owners find amusing.

However, some think dogs eat pine cones because they like the taste. 

But, in general, dogs can’t digest the toxins in pinecones, so they pass them along to their owners.

MORE: Can Dogs Eat Chicken Gizzards?

Can Dogs Eat Pine Cones?

In nature, dogs love to chew on things. So it would be logical to assume that they might enjoy eating pine cones. 

However, many people believe that dogs should not eat pine cones because of the toxins that they may contain. 

It is ultimately up to each dog’s owner to decide whether or not their pet can consume pine cone matter.

Can Dogs Chew Pine Cones?

Dogs love to chew on various objects, from sticks to rocks. However, some dogs may also chew on pinecones. 

A few people say there are no known health risks associated with pinecone chewing. 

At the same time, some owners may find the habit objectionable because of the potential mess. 

This article will explore the question can dogs chew pine cones. If so, what health risks may be associated with this behavior.

What if My Dog Eats Pine Cones?

Pine cones can be a tasty treat for dogs. But they can also be dangerous if your dogs chew the pine cone into small pieces. 

However, some dogs may only enjoy chewing on the pine cone’s hard exterior. 

Still, others may chew off the cone’s soft interior. 

KNOW MORE: Can Dogs Eat Edamame?

So if your dog is chewing on a pine cone, it’s best to remove it carefully. So that no pieces are broken off and swallowed.

Why Are Pine Cones Harmful to Dogs?

Pine cones are harmful to dogs because they can cause intestinal blockages. 

Usually, the cones contain a resin that can form a plug in the dog’s intestines if ingested. 

Therefore, this blockage can lead to severe abdominal pain and even death. 

Additionally, they can cause severe gastrointestinal problems. For example, this happens when your dog breaks and swallows it.

Are Pinecones Bad For Dogs?

Many people think that pinecones are bad for dogs because of the sharp edges on the cones. 

However, this is not a significant concern. The main issue with pinecones is that they can be a choking hazard if eaten. 

So if your dog eats a pinecone, you should give them some water to drink and call your veterinarian.

5 Reasons Pine Cones are Bad For Dogs

Pinecones can be a nuisance for dogs if ingested. In addition, they are hard for dogs to chew and can cause obstruction of the intestine. 

Additionally, if dogs eat pine cones in large amounts can be poisonous. 

Here are 5 reasons pine cones are bad for dogs:

1. Dogs Can Not Easily Digest Pine Cones

Pinecone toxicity is a common concern for dog owners. Also, many pine cones are high in inflammatory compounds.

Therefore, it can cause problems inside the dog’s digestive system. 

If ingested in large quantities, the spores in pine cones can also harm the dog’s respiratory system.

2. Pine Cones Can Cause Upset Stomach in Dogs

Pine cones can cause upset stomachs in dogs. In addition, the cones are a fruit that can be a choking hazard for dogs. 

So be sure to keep them away from your dog if you’re going to eat them. Some dogs will vomit after eating pine cones. 

So it’s essential to monitor your pet closely if they get ahold of them.

3. Dogs Can Choke If They Eat Pine Cones

Dogs can choke if they eat Pine Cones. Dogs can also get other obstructions in their airway if they eat Pine Cones. 

Call your veterinarian or a professional dog handler if your dog eats a Pinecone.

4. Pine Cones May Cause Allergic Reactions in Some Dogs

Pine cones may cause allergic reactions in some dogs. These reactions can be severe and sometimes fatal. 

So it is vital to be aware of the risks associated with them. 

If your dog reacts to pine cones, removing them from their diet is crucial. Also, keep them away from other potential allergens.

5. Pine Oil Can Cause Digestive Dangers in dogs?

Pine cones and pine straws can harm dogs. In addition, pine oils are known as canine poisons

So pet owners should be cautious when using them in their homes and yards.

If dogs eat pinecones, their sharp ends and points, cones, straws, and needles can pierce the stomach or intestines. 

In addition, these things are difficult to digest and can induce blockages in the stomach and digestive tract, necessitating surgery.

What Are the Symptoms If Dog Eats Pine Cones?

If your dogs ate a pinecone, they might have experienced the following symptoms. 

The symptoms may appear right away or within a few hours of the incident. The following are some of them:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Nausea
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of appetite
  • Drooling
  • Excessive thirst or urination
  • Mild Gastrointestinal Distress
  • Skin Reaction
  • Reddened or Itchy Skin

Are Pine Cones Bad For A Puppy?

According to the ASPCA, pine trees are harmful to dogs and cats. Additionally, it causes symptoms such as vomiting and depression. 

This usually refers to pine needles, or sap stuck to the pine cone your puppy is attempting to consume. 

Because pine cones are rigid and difficult to digest, they can create intestinal obstructions. 

In addition, the sharp points have the potential to puncture your puppy’s intestines. 

MORE: Can Dogs Eat Papaya?

Furthermore, anything your puppy eats that you did not prepare for could make him sick. As a result, the puppy may have vomiting and diarrhea.

How To Stop A Dog From Eating Pine Cones?

  • Buy a good dog leash and put it on.
  • Teach them to avoid pine cones.
  • Get Your Dog Daily Exercise.
  • Clean Out Your Environment.
  • Get Them A New Toy.
  • Train them on the words ‘YES’ and ‘NO’ and what they mean. Once you train your dog and socialize them, they will never chew a pine cone.


Finally, can dogs eat pine cones? Now we can say the answer is ‘NO.’ 

In conclusion, dogs should not eat pine cones because of many reasons. 

It includes choking, getting an upset stomach, and potentially dying from eating pine cones. 

So, if you see your dog chewing pine cones, be sure to stop them and give them a safer alternative.